A Payment Gateway is an online application which authorises payments for online retailers and internet businesses. It is the equivalent of a physical terminal located in most retail outlets. Payment gateways protect card details by encrypting sensitive information, such as card numbers, to ensure that information is passed securely from customer to payment processor and then to you, the merchant.
WHEN YOU ARE STARTING OUT, WE SUGGEST YOU CONSIDER USING EITHER PAYPAL OR STRIPE – THEN AS THE VOLUME OF YOUR TRANSACTIONS GOES UP, CONSIDER MOVING TO ANOTHER PAYMENT GATEWAY AND A MERCHANT ACCOUNT.
- PayPal and Stripe are Payment Gateways, but do not require a merchant account.
- They are quick and easy to set up and can operate through your normal business banking or personal account.
- You can also take payments using your mobile phone with them.
- They are relatively cheap to use when you’re taking a lower number of transactions a month.
Payment Gateways take longer to set up than the above (2-3 weeks) and require you to have a merchant account (which is where the money is eventually put).
Payment Gateways become cheaper to use than PayPal or Stripe if you are likely to be taking more than 50-100 transactions a month.
To use a Payment gateway, you’ll also need a merchant account which gives you a ‘merchant number’. Merchant accounts often take several weeks to set up and require a fair amount of paperwork.
In most cases you do not need your Merchant Account to be with the same provider as your Payment Gateway.
PLEASE NOTE: In most cases you will need to set up two Merchant Account numbers for your Payment Gateway:-
- A MOTO (Mail Order, Telephone Order) number to allow you to take payment over the phone for telephone bookings AND
2. An eCommerce number allows your customer to make an online payment with their card when making a booking through Anytime Booking (Anytime Booking doesn’t take their money – we merely refer the customer to your Payment gateway, which then processes the transaction for you).
Click here for more information about merchant numbers.
Payment Gateway Providers
Currently Supported by Anytime Booking
Telephone Number: 0845 619 6617
[only SagePay allow you to surcharge on credit card payments, though this also requires you to have your merchant account with them]
Provider: Realex Payments
Contact Person: Vanessa Norhausen
Telephone Number: 020 3178 3345
Provider: First Data
Contact Person: Daniel Smith
Telephone Number: (0800) 652 5808 (Option 1)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and cc Daniel Smith (email@example.com)
Telephone Number: 01268 500 615
Please note: WorldPay does not support the same level of functionality as other gateways, which means there is extra work for you – if you have MOTO enabled on your merchant account and you are using WorldPay, you will be required to log into their virtual terminal separately from Anytime Booking to process a payment.
Provider: Barclaycard ePDQ
Contact Person: Richard Stoneham (Cornwall rep)
Telephone Number: 07826 945100 or 0844 811 6666
Provider: Payment Sense
Contact Person: Gemma Easton
Telephone Number: 0208 962 3175
Telephone Number: 0808 149 5313
Provider: Evalon Online Payment Gateway
Telephone Number: 0845 850 0195
Telephone Number: 0845 00 99 575
Provider: Secure Trading
Telephone Number: 08082745475